An oncologist is a doctor who specializes in treating cancer. Some oncologists specialize in a particular type of cancer treatment. For example, a radiation oncologist specializes in treating cancer with radiation.
Source: MedlinePlus and National Cancer Institute
Note: This definition was prepared to help consumers find reliable health resources on the web. This site is not responsible for the information on other sites. The information here — and on all websites — is not intended to be a substitute for care given to you by a health professional.
- American Cancer Society
- This is the nation's largest organization focused on cancer, with extensive resources for the public.
- National Cancer Institute
- This website is part of the National Institutes of Health, focusing on cancer.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Patient information, definitions and the latest research news.
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
- This is the website for professionals in radiation oncology.